1 status with respect to the relations between people or groups; "on good terms with her in-laws"; "on a friendly footing" [syn: terms]
2 a relation that provides the foundation for something; "they were on a friendly footing"; "he worked on an interim basis" [syn: basis, ground]
3 a place providing support for the foot in standing or climbing [syn: foothold]
- Rhymes: -ʊtɪŋ
- A ground for the
foot; place for the foot
to rest on; firm foundation to stand on.
- In ascent, every step gained is a footing and help to the next. Holder.
- A standing;
position; established place; basis for operation; permanent settlement; foothold.
- As soon as he had obtained a footing at court, the charms of his manner . . . made him a favorite. Macaulay.
- A relative condition; state.
- Lived on a footing of equality with nobles. Macaulay.
- A tread; step; especially, measured tread.
- Hark, I hear the footing of a man. Shakespeare
- The act of adding up a column of figures; the amount or sum total of such a column.
- The act of putting a foot to anything; also, that which is added as a foot; as, the footing of a stocking.
- A narrow cotton lace, without figures.
- The finer refuse part of whale blubber, not wholly deprived of oil. Simmonds.
- (Architectural & Engineering) The thickened or sloping portion of a wall, or of an embankment at its foot; foundation.
- (Accounting) Double checking the numbers vertically.
- jogging (as a form of exercise)
The word footing has a number of meanings:
Anschauung, account, adding, advantage, allowance, ambit, ambling, ambulation, angle, angle of vision, assessment, backpacking, bailiwick, balance, base, baseboard, basement, basis, bear hug, bearing wall, bearings, bed, bedding, bedrock, bill, bite, blackmail, blood money, bottom, calculation, calculus, capacity, case, caste, casting, character, chassis, ciphering, circumstance, clamp, clasp, class, clench, clinch, cling, clinging, clutch, computation, condition, constituency, dado, death grip, distance, echelon, embrace, emolument, estate, estimation, eye, fee, firm hold, fix, floor, flooring, fond, foot, foothold, footing it, footplate, footrail, footrest, footwork, foundation, frame, frame of reference, framework, fundament, fundamental, going on foot, grapple, grasp, grip, gripe, ground, grounds, groundwork, hardpan, hierarchy, hiking, hitchhiking, hitching, hold, hoofing, hug, hush money, infrastructure, initiation fee, iron grip, jam, keel, legwork, level, light, location, locus standi, lot, lumbering, marching, mental outlook, mileage, modality, mode, mopboard, nadir, nip, orbit, order, outlook, pass, pavement, pedestrianism, perambulation, perch, perspective, pickle, place, plight, point of view, position, post, posture, power structure, precedence, predicament, principle, purchase, radical, rank, rate, rating, reckoning, reference system, regard, respect, retainer, retaining fee, riprap, rock bottom, rudiment, sauntering, scot, seat, seating, seizure, shoemold, side, sight, sill, situation, slant, sole, solid ground, solid rock, sphere, sphere of influence, spot, stability, stage, staggering, stamping ground, stance, stand, standing, standing place, standpoint, state, station, status, stereobate, stipend, strolling, stylobate, substratum, substruction, substructure, system, terms, terra firma, territory, thumbing, thumbing a ride, tight grip, toddling, toe, toehold, totaling, toting, tottering, traction, tramping, treading, tribute, trudging, turf, underbuilding, undercarriage, undergirding, underpinning, understruction, understructure, universe, vantage, venue, view, viewpoint, waddling, wainscot, walking, warrant